Unveils a smartphone operating system that ‘Puts People First’
Microsoft Corporation India Pvt. Ltd. today launched the Windows Phone in India. With an allnew rich and dynamic user interface of Live Tiles and Hubs, Windows Phone enables people to quickly find, connect and consume the things that they care about the most. The new OS sports a smooth transitional user interface called ‘Metro’, a visually appealing modern design language based on a set of principles which are modern, clean, alive in motion, andauthentically digital
Announcing the launch of Windows Phone in India, Mr. Bhaskar Pramanik, Chairman, Microsoft India said, “We are incredibly excited about today’s unveiling of Windows Phone. With Windows Phone, we have looked at the consumer experience in an absolutely fresh way, and the end result is an operating system that is stylish, innovative, and one that seamlessly integrates the most sought after user experiences such as search, gaming, email and social networks across Bing, Office, Xbox LIVE, Facebook, Twitter and more.”
The conventional application icons have been replaced by Live Tiles on the Windows Phone start screen, thus boldly displaying critical information at a glance. The Live Tiles come to life with real-time updates from the Web such as news, appointments or the status of friends. New Live Tiles can be easily created from whatever content a consumer wants, for applications, websites and music.
The integrated experiences are achieved through ‘hubs’ which bring together related content into a single view to simplify common tasks. These include:
• People. This hub delivers an engaging social experience by bringing together relevant content based on the person. It also provides a central place from which to post updates to Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Windows Live in one step.
• Pictures. This hub makes it easy to share pictures and video to a social network in one step. Windows Phone also brings together a user’s photos by integrating with the Web and PC, making the phone the ideal place to view a person’s entire picture and video collection
• Games. This hub delivers the Xbox LIVE experience on a phone, including Xbox LIVE games, Spotlight feed and the ability to see a gamer’s avatar, Achievements and gamer profile
• Music + Video. This hub creates an incredible media experience. The overall experience is rich and easy to navigate, and immerses the listener in the content.
• Marketplace. With over 30,000 apps and games, this hub allows the user to easily discover and load the phone with certified applications and games.
• Office. Windows Phone Office hub has mobile versions of Word, Excel, OneNote and PowerPoint for working on the go. These can synchronised back to SkyDrive, Office 365 or SharePoint sites
Every Windows Phone device is powered by the Qualcomm’s Snapdragon™ mobile processor and chip system software, and comes with a dedicated hardware button for Bing, providing one-click access to search from anywhere on the phone.
Speaking at the launch, Mr. Vikas Arora, Group Director - Operator Channel, Microsoft, said, “Windows Phone is for people who are ready for a new phone experience, one that brings together the things you care about in a way that uniquely represents who you really are – whether at work or play”.
Microsoft revealed a range of Windows Phone devices that will be available in India soon, the first being the HTC Radar. This will be followed by devices from Samsung and Acer, and subsequently Nokia.
Windows phone launch: L-R - Mr. Bhaskar Pramanik, Chairman, Microsoft India; Viral Oza, Marketing Director, Nokia; Ravi Desai, Head Telecom, Acer; Faisal Siddiqui, Country Manager, HTC; Dr. Avneesh Agrawal, President, Qualcomm India & South Asia; Vikas Arora, Group Director, Operator Channel, Microsoft India; Manu Sharma, General Manager, Mobile Business, Samsung
About Microsoft India
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (NASDAQ "MSFT") is the worldwide leader in software for personal and business computing. The company offers a wide range of products and services designed to empower people through great software - any time, any place and on any device. Microsoft Corporation (India) Private Ltd is a subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation, USA. It has had a presence in India since 1990 and currently has offices in 10 cities - Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Chandigarh, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kochi, Kolkata, Mumbai, New Delhi and Pune.
For more information, please contact:
Karishma Dawar Dipti Mehra
IPAN Hill and Knowlton Microsoft Corporation India Pvt. Ltd.
Mobile: +91 9873178498 Mobile: +91 981 182 0160
For more information on Microsoft India:
Log onto: www.microsoft.com/india/msindia
Follow us on: www.twitter.com/MicrosoftIndia / http://www.facebook.com/MicrosoftIndia